Sunday, July 24, 2011

Baked Egg

I never turn down an opportunity to make eggs for breakfast.  Especially on the weekend when I have a little more time to mess around with different recipes.  This morning I was feeling "Baked Eggs."  I found a recipe online, actually on another blog that I love to go to any time I'm interested in finding something new to bake-- "pete bakes!"  I've never met Pete; never even corresponded with him, but he is obviously a great cook.  And he's not afraid to jump out there and try new things on his own.  Of course, what drew me to his page are his beautiful pictures.  After all, he is a graphic design artist, illustrator, etc.  I'd expect nothing less.  Here's a link to his food blog:
http://www.peterandrewryan.com/baking/
And here's his recipe:

baked egg

recipe makes 4 eggs (1 egg per small ramekin). if using a larger ramekin, adjust measurements accordingly.

1/4 tsp minced fresh garlic
1/4 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
1/4 tsp minced fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 tsp seasoned bread crumbs
1 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan
1 Tbsp crumbled cooked bacon
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 Tbp butter
salt and pepper to taste

1. preheat the broiler while you prepare the ramekins.

2. combine the garlic, thyme, rosemary, parmesan and bread crumbs. add 1/4 Tbsp butter and 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream in each ramekin. put the ramekins on a baking sheet and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until melted and bubbly.

3. remove the ramekins from the oven and very carefully crack 1 egg into each. quickly sprinkle with the crumb/herb topping and place back in the broiler for anther 2-3 minutes. the eggs will continue to cook after you remove them from the oven. let cool for 1-2 minutes before serving warm.
I love my little ramekins (World Market) and they're perfect for this dish.  The only thing I have to watch out for is that my broiler is so hot, that my toppings get "done" before my eggs, so I pull them out from the broiler once they're "crusted" and turn the oven off, then set them back in for just a couple more minutes.  The egg comes out perfect.  The white is done just right and the yolk is creamy and rich.
You'd think that with garlic on the list of toppings it would be the strongest flavor, but not so.  I find the rosemary and thyme are the bigger stars, which I love.  And of course you can adjust according to your taste.  My hat's off to Pete!

Happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment